PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss options.
Has Debt Taken
Over Your Life?
Richard A. Schwartz has been practicing law in the bankruptcy and debt reorganization field for over 35 years.
Mr. Schwartz concentrates his practice in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law and related matters, including debt negotiation, reorganization, work-outs and debtor-creditor relations. Over the past 35 years, Mr. Schwartz has represented debtors, creditors and trustees in bankruptcy cases in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and California.
Mr. Schwartz is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. Mr. Schwartz served as chairman of the Bankruptcy Section of the Louisville Bar Association, and additionally has been selected to the Kentucky Super Lawyers List.
Mr. Schwartz is a member in good standing of numerous state and federal bars, including the state bars of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio; the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky; the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana; and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Mr. Schwartz received his Bachelor's of Arts from Vanderbilt University and his law degree from the Ohio State University College of Law.
Mr. Schwartz is married with three children. His wife is a licensed clinical psychologist.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy & Reorganization
- Kentucky, 1984
- Indiana, 1985
- Ohio, 1983
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. - 1983
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- B.A. - 1980
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Economics
Honors and Awards
- AV Rating- Martindale Hubbell
- Kentucky Super Lawyers List, 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Member since 1996
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member since 1995
- Chairman of the Bankruptcy Section, Louisville Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- CARE Program, Louisville Bar Association, 2009
- Zeta Beta Tau